Old July 1st 17, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default What is this? [SOLVED]

This is not a question, just fyi.

I'm cleaning out my old car to sell it, and I found in the ashtray an
unusual plastic thing, and I was going to post a picture of it here so
you all could tell me what it was, so I'd know whether to leave it in
the car or keep it. I know I put it there 3 years ago or more but I
don't remember what it is.

It's black plastic, a 3-sided "tube" with one side open, one piece
sliding inside the other so the total length can vary. With funny
ends.

But then I got an email that advertised this:

http://www.tmart.com/pgallery/Hidden...3_p347341.html

and the little prongs on the U-shapped piece on the bottom left reminded
me of the prongs at one end of my gizmo.

I figured out that the plastic was meant to cover the wiring to the
"sell-dimming rear-view mirror with lights and compass" that I had
installed. I forget why I didnt' use it, but probably because there
already was wiring to the mirror, and it was done neatly enough.

So before I sell it, I'm taking the fancy mirror out and replacing it
with the original mirror and the plastic gizmo will stay with the fancy
mirror.