Old August 18th 12, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Slickness is gone once the transmission fluid was replaced

On 08/17/2012 05:40 AM, David wrote:

>>> are in the states

>> why go to a lighter weight?? just put in what it's supposed to have
>> and call it a day. You can always check with the dealership about
>> using a lighter weight. They have recommended weight oils for a
>> reason.
>>

> 20 years ago, I had a VAG car that 'crunched' into second.
>
> The solution was to blend half the volume with the recommended grade,
> and half with a heavier grade, both to GL5 spec.
>
> YMMV
>
> David

GL-5 in a VW transaxle is a no-no from what I understand, most of the EP
additives contain sulfur, this is why many people recommend going with a
synthetic GL-4. I know Redline is advertised as sulfur-free and yellow
metal synchronizer safe, that is why I tried it instead of the Swepco; I
haven't had a reason to switch since.

NB: this is based on my knowledge of VW 020/02A transaxles and may not
be applicable to the OP's Audi. FWIW Redline recommends MT-90 for OP's
app but I would get an opinion from someone who has actually used it in
that specific transaxle (search Audi-specific forums) before switching.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel