Old March 11th 11, 09:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default 15 years later..

(Mr T) wrote:

> I hope Shift 2 will be different like they've been promoting
> but I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

The marketing hype for Shift2 is working on me... which is a sure sign that it's
going to be Shift1 with a few tweaks which won't make it feel like a proper sim.
However I am practising being optimistic, just in case I discover that rose tinted
glasses improve my overall mood.

I may well be saved from my Nascar itch though. The price to import that title will
probably put me off. PS3 games are expensive enough to start with without the
import premium to discourage me from taking a gamble. And I do think some of the
videos show some exceptionally dubious physics. That's never a good sign.

What puzzles me though is that after all this time getting an acceptable on-track
experience in a racing title is still so hard. I'm sure it can't be easy, but
surely with so many CPU cycles to throw at projects it ought to be possible to plug
in some physics modules and get close enough without kidnapping Dave Kaemmer.

Mind you, even DK seems to have to hand-tweak individual vehicles rather than
putting various parameters into a general purpose physics model. So maybe we're
still a long way off having sims which are based on pure science rather than the
messy combination of art and craft which seems to be required to make something
feel realistic.

> Hey, we get spammed about 3d walkthroughs

It's nice that someone thinks we're important enough to spam. But they're so
clueless they also spammed the flight-sim group. That's even closer to
archeological status than this place!

Andrew McP