Old September 3rd 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John M.[_2_]

Default 2000 Accord – Timing belt change or just inspect?

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 09:36:19 -0700 (PDT), SadaYama
> wrote:

>2000 Honda Accord EX, 4 door, 5 speed, just 90,000 miles.
>
>At 90,000 miles, it is usually recommended to change the timing belt, replace the water
>pump, also power steering belt and alternator belt. Do you guys recommend replacing
>or just inspect timing belt and replace all only if needed?
>
>I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems OK, just leave it
>alone. He has a Acura and has 230,000 miles and said he never replaced his timing belt.
>He also recommended adding a tablespoon of engine oil to the coolant, which could be
>useful, just in case if the water pump freezes or timing belt snaps. Do any of you recommend
>this ?

One question I have is how do you quantitate "seems OK"? Get it
changed. If the timing belt breaks you will probably be looking at
major engine damage. As for the alternator belt: If it breaks it may
only leave you stranded. As for the Power steering belt: I guess it
depends where you're driving when it breaks. I've never driven my
Civic without PS so I don't know the hazards.
FWIW, my Civic is approaching 400,00 miles and it still has the
original PS belt. The alternator belt had to be cut when an
alternator had to be cut out of it's mount some time back so who knows
if it would still be there otherwise. I just wouldn't risk the engine
though. I'm on my 3rd timing belt and it's overdue a bit.
Oil in the coolant? I've never heard of that happening
intentionally.
--

John M.