Old August 28th 07, 02:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

Default How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

> wrote
> I'm thinking of buying a 2006 or 2007 3 series. I was wondering what
> the consensus is around here about BMW's engines. I had a bad
> experience with my current car, an Audi 1.8 turbo, and don't want to go
> through that again. I've heard good things about BMW's 6 cylinder
> motors. How do you folks feel? Thanks for your input.

They're very good engines. Much more bullet-proof than the 1.8T, although
with a chip that was a fun engine, too. It just required more meticulous
maintenance, proper synthetic oil (somehow nobody bothered to tell the US
dealers about this) and proper turbo warmup/cooldown procedures (which many
people who never owned a turbo engine did not adhere to).

Every car has its problems though. Like the previous poster mentioned -
sudden overheating issues due to a cooling system failure were common on the
previous e46 and e39 (and probably a few others). Not sure if BMW finally
took care of it with the latest 3 series. It's probably too early to tell.

Pete