Old December 13th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a carrepair should take?

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 8:27:02 PM UTC-6, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 12/12/2017 8:04 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> > On 2017-12-12 17:07, micky wrote:

> >> It was 4500 for a used engine and 6500 for a rebuilt one.Â* Not worth it,
> >> and he knew it.
> >>

> > That depends on how much additional transportation you buy. As my cars
> > age, I begin to think in terms of, for example, "this brake job will
> > cost $450, that's about two months of financing a new(er) car, so if I
> > get more than two months out of it, I'm money ahead." Which, as it
> > turned out, I was, because the car wasn't at the stage of bits and
> > pieces falling off it. :-)
> >

> Just to add a little perspective to this topic, 1953 to 1970 I was a
> practicing Auto mechanic.
> 1960 to 1970 I owned my own business in a 2 car service station/garage.
> Our labor rates were $6.50 per hour, Increased to $7.00 an hour in 1965
> much to the crying and hollering of our customers.
> I ran a strictly honest place and had an abundance of loyal customers.
> Imperial Oil sold the property in 1970 and I left the auto trade.
> Back then I could do a 4 wheel brake job (no extras or complications}
> for the sum of $24.00 Shoes and labor On GM, Ford, Dodge or Plymouth.
> I moved into the field of power Engineering till I retired in year 2000
>
> Rene

Pete Robertson Auto Service Inc 5198 Lynch Street Extension Jackson, MS Pete passed away a few years ago, his son owns the shop now. He built his shop when he came home from Vietnam. They are very honest folks and they charge a fair price for the work they do.