Old November 15th 05, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Driver Ed

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:11:15 GMT, pws > wrote:

>M. Cantera wrote:
>
>> Most schools systems no longer offer driver's ed. They dropped that
>> when they stopped getting free cars from the manufacturers Besides
>> the drivers ed budget seen to have been replaced with administrative
>> staff in most school systems that I'm familiar with.

>My school did not offer driver's education. It was taken at a separate
>facility that had nothing to do with my school, and it was $180.00,
>iirc. This was in Texas in 1985 or 1986.
>
>> As for banning cell phones, how would you enforce it in most of the
>> US? The police will not pull anyone over for something they are doing
>> because that is profiling (as in racial)

>What are you talking about? Do you really think that people do not get
>pulled over in the United States? Law enforcement officers usually drive
>these cars that have lights on top of the car.
>You can frequently see these cars on the side of the road with a car in
>front of them that has an unhappy looking driver at the wheel.

Traffic enforcement is purely a profit center and radar has the
biggest margin, followed by expired tags/inspections. Any other
offense can result in lengthier proceedings and challenges to the
accussing officer. I know poeple i n the system in Houston and in
Miami, that is what they are telling me.

Next time you are out, take a look at your fellow drivers, they don't
seem to get pulled over for eating, applying make up, obtructing the
flow of traffic, tailgating, reading, failing to signal lane changes,
illegal turns or a host of other offenses.

>Have you ever watched the show "Cops"? People get pulled over here by
>police for a huge variety of reasons.
>
>Pat

Last time I checked that was a TV show, nothing to do with reality.