Old July 11th 18, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Frank

Default how does the map get into the radio?

On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article >, NONONOmisc07
> @bigfoot.com says...
>>
>> I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
>> have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
>> detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
>> not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
>>

> The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
> updated.
>
> I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
> USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
> need the GPS option for that.
>
> I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
> From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
> cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
> which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
> are on it. So it is worthless.
> They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
> bought.
>
> I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
> it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
> it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with
it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying
to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore
it or turn it off.

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as
much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business
openings and business addresses changing.