Old January 10th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 79 veeDub problem

veeDub wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> my 79 convertible vw is spitting out oil in the engine compartment. plz,
> can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Wpie off the oil. wipe it off on the left sides, front and back, of
the fan shroud too.
I think it is a leaky or blown oil cooler.
If it is, I would replace the oil cooler and use the best German made
coller seals available.

These books and videos would be useful:

Aircooled.net carries all of these:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/catsear...=BV&p erpage=

Official Service Manual
By Robert Bentley - Editions available for specific years and vehicle
types. These are a MUST if you are working on your car! Excellent
wiring diagrams and illustrations/pictures.

70-79' Beetle and Super Beetle

$39.95
466 pages, and 720 illustrations/diagrams. 27 pages of electrical
wiring diagrams.
Usually Ships: same or next day

Personal note: this book sometimesrecommends the use of special tools
that are no longer available.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hayne's Manuals
Price: $ 19.95

These manuals are best used together WITH the corresponding Bentley
Manual. Lots of photographs make these especially useful.

54-79' Beetle and Ghia

Over 350 pages, 671 illustrations/diagrams
Usually Ships: same or next day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive
Price: $ 26.95

By John Muir - A decent book, written in layman's terms. Very popular.

PLEASE NOTE: some of the information (I.e. on oil, choke, etc) is VERY
dated, and we don't agree with the author's opinions. This book is NOT
a substitute for a Bentley shop manual, but it is very good at
explaining things in a way the novice can understand.

Some of the 'Bug Me' videos may be useful to you:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/catsear...=BV&p erpage=

Bug Me Video (How-to DVD series), Volume 1 General Maintenance
Part #: BVV0001

Price: $ 29.95

Bug Me Video (How-to DVD series), Volume 3 Complete Engine Rebuild
Price: $ 39.95
Rick Higgins (a real VW mechanic) guides you step-by-step through a
complete engine tear down, inspection, clean up, and engine assembly.
Running time: 2 hours 38 min.

Personal note: this does not cover fuel injection. But this video and
a good manual is probably all you need.

You might also check at cip1.com .