Old June 2nd 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 94 Accord torque converter in and out

On Saturday, November 20, 2004 at 10:41:44 AM UTC-6, Net-Doctor wrote:
> "motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > wrote in message
> > Gregg Gruen wrote:
> > > My 1994 Accord seems to do something strange at highway speeds. It
> > > seems that the torque converter is locking up and unlocking
> > > repeatedly. I try to maintain a very steady speed, but I'll feel it
> > > unlock and watch the tach jump up ~250 RPM, then watch it drop it back
> > > down again. This will happen on flat road, but very much more so on a
> > > slight (and I mean slight) incline. If I use cruise control, the
> > > problem it's so bad, but still present. It seems like it's more
> > > sensitive than it should be. It'll just as much as every 5-8 seconds,
> > > especially if the road isn't perfectly flat.
> > >
> > > Otherwise, the trans seems to shift fine. Shifts a little rough,
> > > especially when it's cold, but nothing to really complain about too
> > > much. I did a trans fluid change, but I didn't use Honda fluid
> > > (changing again this weekend w/ Honda fluid after what I've read about
> > > that).
> > >
> > > Can anyone give me a recommended adjustment I can make? Could it be a
> > > bad TC solenoid? Or is this just a standard Honda auto trans? It's
> > > the first one I've owned.
> > >
> > > About 140k miles, no check engine light.
> > >
> > > Also, I've noticed two distinctive clunks when I put the car in drive
> > > from park, especially when it's cold. It's almost as if it's a
> > > two-part shift process. There's a slight delay between the two.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to take it easy on the car. I just bought it, and I'm
> > > afraid of any trans problems coming up already.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Gregg

> > --------------------
> >
> > The non-Honda fluid explains everything you described, probably.
> > Especially the really solid shifts. The short delay is famous on
> > Odyssey, but might get better after drain-n-fill. You'll have to do a
> > second drain-n-fill later, and be sure to do both of them when tranny is
> > warmed up, so you get a higher % of the crud into suspension. Let it
> > drain several minutes, then, if you want to be thorough, start the
> > engine for ten seconds and 'pump' out the converter by putting it into
> > reverse / D4. You'll get almost another quart out.
> >
> > Some won't agree with that last part. . . . 'Curly'
> >
> > P.S. Always mention your mileage :-(

> Disclaimer: Much of the information I pass on is speculation, based on my
> experience with Honda transmissions. My experience includes 8 years building
> and rebuilding Honda torque convertors, 6 years of
> building/analyzing/rebuilding Honda automatic transmissions, and 10 years as
> owner of Honda Accords(currently 5). Please use this information for
> reference only.
>
> Hi Gregg:
> I also have a '94 Accord that my daughter drives and I have had that
> same hesitation at initial takeoff for over 100,000 miles. It's annoying and
> unsettling, but I don't expect it's gonna get any worse. I have always used
> [...]

hello name is dale, i have a 94 honda accord and its having some transmission problems (recently replaced with salvage tranny) but when i start it up it shifts just fine and i can go (forward or reverse) but after about 3 minutes (once it warms up a little it drops its self out of gear (false natural) ive change filter (someone told me may be it) but i also found it could be torque converter or pressure solenoid..... i would just like your input sense you seem to have alot of experience with hondas.... thank you for your time.