Old February 12th 05, 05:06 AM
BDragon

"Jim M" <jim> wrote in message ...

> "79VetteNJ" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> >I would like to install 6"x9" speakers in the rear. Any premade boxes,

not
> > too big. I would like to still store my T-Tops back there.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I recently installed an Alpine stereo system (cd/tuner/receiver) in my
> 1977 and put 6X9 speakers in the back. Just go to any stereo store and buy
> the speaker wedges. Speakers were like 200 dollars (JBL) and a pair of
> speaker wedges went for about 25 bucks. Still left lots of room for the
> T-tops... You CAN buy specialty made wedges for the rear of a C3 at any

web
> based corvette parts supplier like www.corvetteamerica or
> www.corvettecentral but is much cheaper to just buy regular wedges
> ...depends what you want though Hope that was of

some
> help....Jim

I just cut a formed faceplate from a nice piece of quality hardwood, sound
deadened the hole, mounted the speaker in the faceplate and snugged it in.
From the outside, almost no sound escapes. I also replaced my three storage
door lids with wood, and on the one behind the passenger seat, I sealed the
hole and put a 10 subwoofer in it. I put a small 200 w amp in the middle
compartment. I rebuilt the kicker panels with wood and put two 3-way 4x6
speakers up front. The final sound is crisp, great bass, and will blow the
doors off if I want, which I don't. The speakers in the back are almost
invisible, and the same goes for the ones in the kick panels. I've never
liked the ones in the dash, so I didn't bother with those. I have just as
much room as ever which in a C3 means pretty much enough for a necktie at
best anyway.