Old February 24th 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Browne

Default Alternator regulator voltage / 2003 Accord, 4 cyl. / resolved

On 2012-02-15 13:55 , Alan Browne wrote:
> Honda Accord, 2003, 4 cyl.
>
> Last winter I bought a new battery and installed it. Worked fine.
>
> This winter from about New Years, if I didn't start the car within a 2
> day period the battery was dead (a couple crank turns at best).
>
> After 2 days the voltage would be under 12 volts. Should stay at about
> 12.6 or a little more when not in use. So I'd either jump it or if I had
> time I'd charge it up with a charger at low rate.
>
> I measured the key-out current as 45 mA. That wasn't draining it.
>
> I brought the battery in the house and charged it slowly. Once charged,
> it would discharge (open circuit) from 12.9 to 12.2 V in about 5 hours.
>
> I took the battery back and they tested it and gave me a new one on
> warranty. (NAPA (Cdn arm of UAP)).
>
> Brought it home, installed it in the car. Everything seems fine.
>
> However, I checked the charging voltage at idle and was surprised that
> it was 14.6V. I would have expected it to be 14.2 - 14.4 V. Above 14.4 V
> I'd expect electrolyzing out H2 and O2.
>
> Is 14.6V normal charging V in a Honda Accord (2003, 4 cyl)?

Well finally checked the charge voltage after the engine had warmed up
and it was 14.35 or so.

And revving the engine (warm) to 2000 - 2500 also had the voltage below
14.4.

So looks like the battery was the culprit. We'll see how the
"replacement" does over the next few years.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.