Old February 17th 12, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default Alternator regulator voltage / 2003 Accord, 4 cyl.

On 02/16/2012 07:25 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-02-16 09:57 , jim beam wrote:
>> On 02/16/2012 06:41 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> I just want to be sure that the reason the prior battery failed in less
>>> than 1 year is not due to my alternator/VR output.

>> as you should. batteries fail from over-voltage long before bulbs blow.
>> in fact, bulbs are one of the last things to go. definitely make sure
>> your regulator is within spec - you don't say who manufactured your
>> alternator, but when denso regulators fail, over-voltage is one of their
>> commonest modes.

> It's the original alternator. Offhand I haven't dived into the car to
> see who made it.

check before you consider whether to repair or replace. if it's denso,
repair is viable. if not, then just replace the whole unit. too many
special tools required and too much difficulty getting parts for
non-denso units.

>>> Your comments on OE v. aftermarket well noted.
>>>

>> tegger's a little over-dramatic on this. denso don't make regulators -
>> they're sourced from a number of different suppliers, then used or
>> re-sold by denso. same with bearings, etc. bottom line, if the
>> components used are good, there's no reason after-market is any worse
>> than o.e. the qualification to that statement however is that people
>> buying after-market don't want to pay o.e. prices, so it's a loaded
>> gamble that they're going to get lower quality.

> If I need a new alternator (doesn't look that way now) I'll either get
> it at Honda (probably in NY state - everything is cheaper there than at
> Honda Canada even after paying taxes bringing it in) or a "better" 3rd
> party part if I can find one. Not there yet.

last one i bought was from amazon of all places. genuine oem denso,
same price as cheapo reconditioned from my flaps.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum