Old August 12th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

:

>> On Aug 2, 2:30*am, > wrote:
>>> While everyone loves to blame the mechanic... obviously the
>>> boat-person t

>> hat
>>> built the gearset is an expert, I have found that some gearsets are
>>> just plain noisey.... Installation was performed using factory tools
>>> in accordance with factory procedures and to factory specs.... and
>>> the gears were noisy to some degree or another.... Another R&P,
>>> installed exactly t

>> he
>>> same way, might give no noise at all...
>>>
>>> The important thing to remember is that your mechanic MAY be the
>>> cause of the noise... or he MAY be a victim of it..... There is no
>>> assurance that

>> the
>>> gearset was perfectly machined. Without knowing your mechanic nor
>>> what he has for tools and/or skills.... there is no assurance that
>>> there is nothi

>> ng
>>> amiss with the installation.
>>>
>>> The noise itself.... how loud is the hum????? Is it coming from the
>>> gears???? (A dealer several miles away is having trouble with an 07
>>> Musta

>> ng
>>> GT - noise on decel.... three new gearsets and two wheel to wheel
>>> assembl

>> ies
>>> and the noise is still there... ). My SuperCrew developed the dreaded
>>> "ti

>>> in" gear whine while it was still under warranty.... I never did have
>>> the time or shop space to have the concern addressed..... but it
>>> doesn't both

>> er
>>> me because playing the radio at normal volume makes the noise
>>> disappear..

>> ..
>>> How objectionable is your noise....
>>>
>>> Now... before some of you guys try to rip my lips off.... I have no
>>> idea

>> of
>>> what any of you do for *food..... But I dare you to tell me that you
>>> ha

>> ve
>>> never.,.... EVER said "that's good enough...".
>>>
>>> "88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in
>>> messagenews:a324

>> Just an update....I picked up the car yesterday from the same mechanic
>> who completely accepted to look into the situation after I contacted
>> him about it.
>>
>> The noise was loud enough that I could not drown it with the radio (I
>> couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at these
>> speeds).
>>
>> The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
>> noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
>> "normal" (so far so good).
>>
>> Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He always
>> goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.
>>
>> Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things a
>> little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running well.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc

>I gotta ask - why the noise in the first place? If he test-drove it, he
>certainly would've heard what you described (the radio wouldn't even
>drown it out). If he didn't test drive it, then that's another story.

With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since the
addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is, have
forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.