Old February 10th 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

Default Rip out the Bose

In article >,
PeterD > wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:48:09 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
> > wrote:
>
> >I just got a new 2007 Audi A3 3.2. It's a sweet car!
> >
> >There's no option to get this car without the Bose sound system. It's a
> >real shame to hear such cheap speakers in such a nice car. Are there
> >any instructions online for replacing them or should I buy the repair
> >manual?

> Buying a repair manual (a GOOD one, like the Bently) is always a good
> investment! That's what I would do.
>
> Why don't you like the Bose speakers? (Just wondering, I've no opinion
> on them...)

The Bose system speakers are a pair of single element drivers made of
paper and fabric. One's a tweeter and the other is a midrange driver.
They're the same thing you'd find as factory equipment in any economy
car. They don't sound terrible but there's an obvious lack of frequency
response and power; an AM radio sound quality.

I popped off a midrange grille and found that the speaker wasn't
directly under the opening. Replacement will involve opening the door
for sure. It might even require replacing the amps and building new
speaker mounts, but that's all fun for me. I just need to know the
secrets to safely disassemble the car - what panels cover screws, where
to pry open clips, where to reach in to disconnect wires, etc.

When I think about the stereo and the options for an oil change, the
manual sounds like the way to go.