Old November 20th 05, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is this statement true?

Julie P. wrote:

> A professional mechanic once posted in another forum that if your car is
> well maintained by a competent mechanic who maintains his education, it
> should NEVER break down without warning, leaving you stranded.
>
> Is this statement true?

Depends on your definition of well-maintained. Airplane engines periodically
get rebuilt at a certain interval, whether they need it or not, because the
consequences of failure are severe. This is, however, extremely expensive.

I remember riding the bus in the Phillipines.... each round trip from Manila
to Baguio, they'd drop the engine, take it apart, and check it. Labour was
very cheap and parts were very expensive.

It also depends on your definition of "without warning." I can list five...
no, six things on my daily driver that are giving some symptoms of possible
impending failure, and I should probably do something about them. But none
are really high on the list.

It's all a cost vs. risk breakdown. What are you willing to pay for each
given increment in reliability?
--scott