Old October 18th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Paul[_18_]

Default ot - 68 mustang

On Oct 18, 8:07 am, "Oppie" > wrote:
> "Paul" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > PS I may need info on removing oxidation on my '68 Mustang after I'm
> > done with this don't go away, just yet!

> My son rebuilt a '68 mustang over the last couple of years. He got the car
> by way of ebay motors and had it shipped from Los Angeles to here in NY. Not
> a numbers match so just a fun car.
>
> Gutted it
> Crate engine from Bill Mitchell.
> Nitrous kit (not tried yet).
> MSD electronic ignition.
> New 5speed transmission (the one used in new 'stangs) Had to re-size drive
> shaft.
> Replace dashboard with a new electronic one. Gauges all look original but
> are electronically driven from a module. Uses all new transducers and
> sensors.
> Air ride suspension with automatic ride controller.
> Rack and pinion steering conversion.
> Racing suspension front and rear.
> Roll cage and 5 point harnesses.
> custom stainless steel headers and exhaust system.
>
> The engine was contracted to be a fairly base model. When he drove out to
> pick it up, he was offered a *much* more exotic engine that a racing team
> lost their deposit on - for the same money (about 8G)
> For quite some time, we had almost daily deliveries from Mustangs Unlimited
> and other suppliers.
>
> He did an impressive job on it. I am still having trouble reconciling that
> he spent as much on the custom exhaust as I spent on my used Saturn LW300...
> He just got married and bought a house. Most likely anything new on the car
> will wait a while.

My '68 is a daily driver, I've had a child's seat in the back since I
brought it home. Drive it to/from work every day and drop the kids off
at school/daycare. I work on it to keep it going. It's got a big
Holley 4bbl on a 289 and a Holley intake/exhaust. My latest work on
it was doing a Shelby mod on the upper A arms when replacing the
springs and ball joints. I've installed racing seats. I wish I had
the $$ to do what your son did on his but wife, kids, mortgage.. he'll
see soon enough. Have your son check out National Parts Depot (NPD)
he can download their catalog at http://npdlink.com/ . Their prices,
parts, stock and service, imo, are superior to Mustangs Unlimited.

Last night I looked things over and it doesn't look like I'll even
have to touch the fuel lines to get to the plugs [If the plugs are
beneath the ignition packs(?)]. I would need the tool to remove the
fuel lines for sure. I removed the battery cable on the car to reset
the codes. Upon restarting. the car ran fine at idle, bring it up to
1000rpm and it was rough past 1200 and it was fine. Drove it a little
and it seemed fine. Started it and it ran like crap again. I don't
know if that tells you anything, but I thought it was interesting that
without the "computer" having any saved information about the car it
ran much better. Still planning on replacing the plugs, filter and
boots(if the boots are replaceable).

Later,
Paul