Old May 13th 04, 01:09 PM
Russell Fray

> "Peter Bell" > wrote in message
> > "Russell Fray" > wrote:
> > > Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it
> > > will work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to
> > > have some kind of "hack" that will allow it.

> > Yes - you disconnect the 'GALA' wire going in to the back of the head
> > unit. You can even put a switch in the line so that the GALA function
> > can be enabled when you are listening to radio/cd. Do a google search -
> > there are a number of sites with the details. Don't be fooled into
> > purchasing a 'convertor' to do this - they don't do any more than
> > isolating the GALA signal.

Wasn't the GALA signal replaced in the new A4, i can't remember what with,
but I'm sure I read that the Gala mod would only work on pre 2003 cars as
all the electronics were changed for the 2004 model.

> > > Also one last question if anyone knows - does the navi unit have an
> > > aux-in so I can plug an MP3 player in to it?

> > Yes - there are two aux inputs which can be used for video, or just
> > audio (selected from the TV mode). However, if you want mp3 player, but
> > aren't worried about losing CD, you could do what I've done and replace
> > the CD changer with a PhatBox - it integrates well, using the CD
> > changer controls on your head unit to control the song selection and
> > playback. I understand that PhatBox is now available from Audi dealers
> > in the UK - I purchased mine from the US a year ago.

PhatBox sounds even better - then I'll have two spare inputs for a dvd
player and xbox!

Thanks,
Russ.