Old April 14th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

Default Beetle/bug Pickup project

"tricky" wrote in message
o.uk...
> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
> pickup for me to use for work.

Since we're on r.a.m.v.a we can assume you're going to do this with an air
cooled beetle?

> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof rack
> capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>
> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>
> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>
> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated

A thread where someone builds a Beetle pickup:
http://www.build-threads.com/build-t...vw-bug-pickup/

A picture of a factory built 1946 Beetle pickup:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...er-discovered/

Perhaps something more like what you've got in mind:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lookupinwonder/3209749343/

Video about a conversion using a later model air cooled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI95y17R8B8

A short article (summary, really) of a '72 conversion:
http://www.evalbum.com/3970

> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

Something like the Mini van?

- Bill