Old April 28th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Turn right, skips and jumps, turn left, back to normal, what thehell?

On Apr 22, 4:04 am, Jaguar > wrote:
> I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

Wayyyy back in high school my mechanics teacher told us that
90% of engine problems were electrical. I fussed with carburetors and
other fuel stuff for years until I began to realize that he was right.
Ignition has always been a weak point (that's why aircraft have two
magnetos but only one carb) and I now, at age 55, go after the
ignition first. You might have a bad connection somewhere, and I'd
start at the distrubutor (or coils, if no distrubutor) and work back.
The engine torquing in its mounts, or leaning a little in a turn, is
possibly pulling on some corroded or loose connection, intermittently
cutting off the spark.
90% likely, remember.

Dan