Old April 24th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jaguar

Default Turn right, skips and jumps, turn left, back to normal, what thehell?

On Apr 22, 10:57 am, Steve > wrote:
> Jaguar wrote:
> > I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> > clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> > condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> > will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> > get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> > bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> > engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> > transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> > turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> > turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> > move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

> 1987 Japanese truck.... that'll most likely be carbureted rather than
> fuel injected. And they tended to use Mikuni carbs, which are
> notoriously ill-tempered as they age. Power loss at speed coupled with
> getting worse when turning one direction and better in the other sounds
> like a fuel delivery problem- stuck float valve, plugged fuel filter, etc.
>
> Check the simple stuff first.

Okay, got some carb cleaner, cleaned it out, replaced plugs, wires,
distrib cap, and air filter. Oil/Oil Filter and clutch recently
replaced. It seems to do it LESS, but it still does it. Might be
carb, might be fuel filter, and I dunno where the float valve would
be, how do I go about checking the carb further and the float valve,
I'll get the fuel filter changed soon.