Old April 22nd 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Turn right, skips and jumps, turn left, back to normal, what thehell?

On Apr 22, 6:04 am, Jaguar > wrote:
> I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

Could have some water in the gas tank. My ranger acted quite weird
after the top of the sender unit got some rust holes in it.

For me it was moderate bumps. Acted just like the ignition was cutting
off.

It didn't have a strong gas smell, either,

Dave