Old September 15th 05, 10:16 PM
jason moyer

Sidney H Bridge wrote:

> They drift when they club the curbs and unweight the car. Doesn't do
> much for their lap times though!

A wing traveling sideways doesn't produce downforce. I've seen F1 cars
slide at low speeds and once at high speed (Kimi at Spa, altho I
suspect luck had something to do with saving that), but 99.9% of the
time when a high-downforce car starts to slide at high speed it's going
off the track.

I believe it was Larry who complained that the GTP mod is "grip grip
grip chirp gone" and pretty much that's the behavior I'd expect from a
car with ground effect (or a diffuser) and tons of downforce.

Try the F1 cars in F1C or Rfactor sometime with the "downforce drop off
caused by yaw" or whatever it's called set to 1.0, imho it improves the
behavior of the car at speed substantially since the wings are no
longer providing grip when they're traveling sideways.