Old March 15th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default What is the root of this BMW design flaw in all 3,5,7 seriesBMW trunk wiring looms?

On 03/14/2013 01:11 PM, wrote:
> On Mar 14, 10:54 am, Bimmer Owner > wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:18:22 -0700, wrote:
>>> Instead of using decent wire suited to the application,
>>> the Europeans chose to use some green hippie wire,
>>> that not only costs more, but fails.....

>> Maybe. But why does it always fail at the same spot.
>>
>> That can't be due to the poor choice of insulation, can it?

> Of course it can be. If BMW uses some hippie green
> insulation that isn't as pliable as other insulation, then
> the insulation will crack. We can't do a forensic investigation
> from some pics that don't show how it's mounted, how
> much it moves, what tensions are on it, etc. But I'd bet
> that area has more bending, tension, etc than the rest of
> it.

Yes, that much is true. Someone had mentioned that having the wire in
that area flex in torsion would be preferable and I agree with that
statement as well. Would be simple to have accomplished by having the
hole in the body offset by a few inches (actually as far as possible
would be preferable) from the hole in the trunk lid, and using a
correspondingly longer rubber boot. then most of the flexing of the
wire as the trunk lid opens and closes would result in a slight twisting
of the wire rather than a sharp bending.

The same holds true for wiring running from a body pillar into a door
e.g. for power mirrors, windows, speakers, etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel