Old December 11th 17, 10:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

In <news Clare Snyder said:

> There is "chilton time" and there is "factory time".

I'll take either time.

> Dealers use "factory time" for most late model vehicles - and factory
> time is generally pretty scimpy compared to Chiltons (or Motors, or
> whatever "aftermarket" flat rates exist.)

I'll assume "factory time" is shorter than "Chilton time".

> The independents charge "chilton time"

That's exactly what I'm seeking.
a. Time
b. Online

> Also, the "book time" isn't tecninally "hours" - it is "labour units"
> - which compare closely to the number of hours an experienced mechanic
> with the proper tools will take tio do the job, A mechanic who has
> done the job many times should ALWAYS be able to do the job in fewer
> actual hours - while an apprentice or mechanic unfamilliar with the
> job will take more time.

I'm ok with any units that equate to the time you multiply times the shop
rate.

So if it's in labor units, that's fine since that equates to average time
anyway.

But does it exist online?

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.