Old July 30th 12, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

Default Problem time...

"SteveH" wrote in message
.. .

GT > wrote:

> "GT" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
> > The 159 1.9jtdm has started saying 'have engine checked'. The familiar
> > yellow engine light stays on too. The 156 always did this and I learned
> > ignore it!
> >
> > Car is running fine, no splutters, no bad noises, no smells, fuel
> > consumption normal. Its done 3-4k miles in the last month or so, but
> > nowhere near service time.
> >
> > Anyone experience of this model/engine? Is it crying wolf, or should I
> > actually be concerned?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > GT

> I still have the VAG lead that I used in the 156. I presume the socket is
> in
> the fuse box under the steering wheel? What software would we all
> recommend - free is best!

I use AlfaDiag, but it's not free.

You need to modify the lead to read the airbag ECU on an Alfa.

My 156 is doing the same. It usually goes off after a day or two. What seems
to bring it on is
wet weather or a car wash or a change of fuel. By that I mean the light
comes on if I suddenly start using
a Redex additive or stop using it.

Haven't pinpointed the cause but I'm not worried.

TonyB