Old June 19th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default who killed the electric car

The American buying public HAS voted on the issue of electric cars via
marketing surveys. The majority of potential buyers want at least 200
miles range on a charge before they buy an electric. The mfgs are
reluctant to invest in a vehicle the market won't buy.

The technology IS here to make a 100 mile vehicle, but is not here to
make a reasonably priced 200 mile one.

We can wait till battery technology reaches the 200 mile mark, or we can
change our minds and say, "okay, it would be my second car, for around
town and short trips, and I'll buy a 100 mile car." I don't blame the
industry for being reluctant to develop and design a car they think the
public won't buy. No project manager wants to get the reputation of
being an Edsel creator.