Old November 19th 17, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Oil

Xeno > wrote:
>On 19/11/2017 12:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> No problem.Â* But I really want to know why 40-weight oil was a proper
>> choice in HOT weather (80mph on a slight uphill across the Mojave in
>> August, for example) a while back but now isn't even an option.
>>

>Engines have changed, emissions rules have tightened.

Likely someone could make a 40-weight oil with the correct additive pack for
that engine, but nobody does, because it would be of very limited use.
There aren't a lot of people in the Mojave at any given time.

They make the oil that is usable over the widest possible applications with
the correct additive pack.
--scott