Old April 9th 10, 12:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Default Alfa 156 JTD

Zathras > wrote:

> I can't help feeling that Alfa have disadvantaged themselves (on the
> Diesel front) after a good early start in the 90s, by having the
> packaging limitations of front wheel drive. I guess the saviour will
> be small capacity, high output turbo petrol engines. In Diesel land,
> they can't get the power *and* economy of the bigger boys in town.

I think the 5-pot could be a bit of a technical dead-end, really - but
Alfa stick with it because it's now become an Alfa 'thing'.

A 5-pot is definitely more characterful than a 6-pot (and you can stick
an inline 6 in a transverse car - Volvo manage it) - people generally
forgive Alfas some faults because of the character.

What I'm more puzzled about is why Alfa don't take the Fiat Drivtrain
option of the twin-turbo 2.0 as used by Lancia and, ISTR, Saab - that
would appear to be the ideal way to get 2.4 matching power with 1.9
economy.
--
SteveH