Old July 31st 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:29:27 -0700 (PDT), "88 Mustang GT Conv."
> wrote:

>I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
>I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>60-90 KM / Hr.
>
>I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>and should be ignored.
>
>Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
>The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>little cost.
>
>I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>annoying.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Marc

Similar problem. Had the differential checked as a speed shop. Not a
thing wrong with the unit. When they put it back together, no sound.
The only change was the posi lube that gets mixed in. The speed shop
said to only use the Ford posi lube. Have not had a bit of problem
since. Nice and quiet. As I recall, and I can tell you what it calls
for, but they used 2 tubes of the Ford posi lube.