Old April 17th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
chicoik595 via CarKB.com

Default Front Axle Beam restoration - How do I un-tension springs to pull torsion arms?

The beam is off the front of the tube chassis. I wish it were as easy as you
described but the problem i'm running into is the bump stop is holding the
upper torsion arm right where it is, fully embedded into the beam tube. I
need to find out how to either release the tension off the springs inside the
tube, or get around that bump stop holding up against the torsion arm... so
far no luck with hammering on it and trying to get it to budge... even if I
get it off, getting it back on with the springs under tension will be near
impossible...