Old August 21st 18, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
danny burstein

Default P0171 and P017n Was: What tools do I need? (P0420 Bank 1 catalytic inefficiency on a 15 year old dual-cat vehicle)

In > micky > writes:

>>You can put a new converter onto this, but it won't stay good for very long
>>until you sort out the mixture problems.

>So I could be ruining my cat converter?

I had a similar code 420 on my car. Numerous places told
me that meant replacing the cat.

One place said that before doing that... to check out whether
there was something in the engine throwing lots fo garbage
into the exhaust,in which case replacing the cat would just
be a waste of money.

He looked and discovered a defective EGR. He replaced it,
and the 420 codes went from happening 15 minutes after
each reset to one every couple of days...

Presumably there's still some gunk in the cat which
slowly still sets off the alarm, but it's gone from
being terminal to having a cold...