Old December 9th 05, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default A New Category of Sloth

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:08:11 -0600,
(Brent P) wrote:

>> You've identified categories of Sloth but never defined the term
>> itself.

>Here's mine: Someone who makes a certain driving move or drives slower
>than I would on a bicycle (including rate of acceleration) or someone
>who is blocking the natural flow of traffic with their slower than
>normal speed of driving in an inappropiate lane for that speed.

I would agree with this definition.

Here in SoCal, we have beattiful six-lane roads with 55 MPH speed
limits - and a bunch of MORON SLOTHS who never make it up beyond 35 or
40 MPH. For example, the Sloth Coasters let off the gas because they
see a red light a half-mile away (never realizing it is impossible to
"time" a sensor-controlled traffic signal, and that the sooner a
vehicle arrives at the sensor loop the sooner the light will change).

Unfortunately, lack of consideration seems to go hand-in-hand with
Sloth. If these people gave a **** about anyone but themselves, they
would confine their Sloth behavior to the appropriate lane and/or take
reasonable steps to avoid needlessly blocking other traffic. But you
almost never see this kind of genuine courtesy on the roads; what you
see instead is a Sloth Merger demanding "courtesy" from everyone else,
expecting to be "let in" when they try to merge into a 75 MPH traffic
stream at 40 MPH.