Old March 13th 11, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Default 2nd gear vs. reverse?

Lamumba wrote:
> Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
> what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.

Loosen the two 13mm bolts at the base of the shifter, then slide the
base to the right about 1/4" and tighten the bolts down again. See what
you got and adjust again until you are pleased with the result.

Trivia: Sometimes the shifter bushings get worn and sloppy, making it
harder to find the right gear too. There's a joint with 2 bushings under
the rear seat, inside the tunnel under an oval cover plate. Another
bushing is just rearwards of the shifter mounting hole on the tunnel;
the shift rod passes through a nylon bushing that is supported in a
metal bracket, hanging off the top of the tunnel.