Old February 28th 11, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

Default distributor problem again

Steven Rogers wrote:

> Once again my distributor problem is back. I seem to accelerate ok but
> steady speed driving and the engine coughs and sputters. Disconnecting
> the vacuum line to the distributor and the engine runs much better
> (although not perfect... slight loss is power and acceleration).

Another possibility:

While the distributor base plate should rotate in response to
changes in vacuum, it shouldn't move up and down.

On some Bosch distributors, the base plate is held down by a leaf
spring (retained by a screw). If this spring breaks the base
plate can move up instead of rotating, allowing the points to
stay closed so there's at best an intermittent spark.

Note that there will be greater vacuum at partial throttle than
while accelerating.

Again, you can check the movement of the base plate by sucking on
the vacuum hose with the engine stopped and the distributor cap
and rotor removed.

John