Old April 16th 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default NB headlight out -- bulb is OK

Grant Edwards wrote:
> The left headlight is out on my NB, but the bulb is OK. Any clues on
> where else to look? Are the L/R headlights fused separately?

the headlights are not on separate fuses. i had one of mine lamps stop
working after running 100w bulbs in there a while. even after replacing
the bulbs with good ones (55/60 hella h4) it would do odd things like
one headlight would lit when on dims and neither when on brights. one
of the sockets was slightly deformed (melted) but that didn't seem to be
the problem. i ultimately found that one of the three leads to the
damaged socket had slightly melted about 5 inches down from socket.
perhaps there was a bend in the wire at that point and the excess demand
from the high wattage bulb caused it to fail at that particulr point.
pat happened to have been parting out a car and was kind enough to send
me a replacement socket with some leads (thank you once again pat!). i
was able to back the two good leads out of the original socket and
insert them into the 'new' socket, leaving me with only one wire to
splice. it was not obvious by testing that this would be the solution.
apparently the polarity reverses when you switch from dims to brights
and it didn't seem to make sense what was going on. but the physical
damage suggested it was the source of the problem and so it was wroth a
try to replace and when replaced it did indeed solve the problem. a
long way to say if you ever used high wattage bulbs then you might want
to closely inspect the wires for signs of melting. if you need a new
socket with leads they are available on ebay.