Old February 4th 13, 01:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

Default 406 Twin Turbo

"Rufus" wrote in message ...

Dad wrote:
> > wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:31:19 PM UTC-6, tww1491 wrote:
>> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt
>> who
>>
>> was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it was a
>>
>> 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him anything
>>
>> about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone could
>>
>> drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp at
>> 5800
>>
>> rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison although
>>
>> have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like that.
>>
>> Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet
>> newsgroup

> Lots of people do that to their C5/C6 Vette if they have the money to do
> so.
> I think alot of it has to do with ego and bragging rights by having insane
> amounts of hp and tq. Such a vette would be ideal for the drag strip so
> long as it had a cage , or, for short bursts of acceleration merging onto
> the Interstate . For speeds in upwards of 140 mph which this vette is
> capable of, youd need a safe off-road place like an airport or a long
> deserted road that is in good shape , relatively straight , with Spotters
> to make sure no one else is around. In short, they are good for the
> 'wow'
> factor as at car shows, etc... but they arent too terribly practical . If
> tuned well, they make fine around town cars with few problems arising if
> any. I wouldnt mind borrowing something like that for a couple hours
> just
> to experience the acceleration..but thats about it.
>

> Tell us what "lot of people" equates to in numbers. Would 10/15 out of say
> 30,000 be lots of people to you? Even at the car shows I see very few if
> any
> that pump out that kind of HP. As I told you before I have friends that
> have
> 7 second cars and few if any drive them on the street, well, one does but
> he's driven that type of car all his driving life. My nephew drives a 502
> CID double shot '66 Impala from the trailer to the strip and a few times
> up
> and down the side road by his house in the country but has little or no
> reason to be getting onto an Interstate.

I think it depends on where you live and how much highway you have to
speed on between destinations - out here in the wide open states (CA,
NV, AZ, UT, west TX, MT, etc.) I see lots of folks hopping up cars for
daily freeway driving all the time...it's just a hobby. My officemates
son just bought seriously vicious older vintage Camaro that he commutes
in between here and V-ville.

Heading through Death Valley wide open for Vegas is a weekend
sport...and I passed a passle of streetable Vettes heading home from a
track day at Willow Springs just yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't see
anything lake that back east where I've lived in the past, and certainly
not at this time of year...

....then again, I've also been stuck on the 405 in my Z06 sitting next to
Maseratis and Ferraris all doing 25 mph for hours/miles.

--
- Rufus

I guess I really don't understand. My 2.2 ltr 240 hp S 2000 tops out at
around 150 and is a decent performer by most standards. I have run 130 on
I16 once and that was enough. Must be ego to want 1200 hp and 200 mph.
The 454 C3 I had years ago would run hot at 130, but even then the top end
on that with 3.05 rear (I think that was what it was) was about 140. I
guess at 71 I am slowing down.