Old April 21st 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

Default Likely causes of vibration when braking?

"TomO" > wrote in message

> I lifted the front end and did a good old fashioned wiggle test, but found
> nothing noticeably loose. I also lightly applied the brakes while rotating
> each wheel by hand. The grab seemed smooth, but I'm not real sure if this
> would be a good test for a warped rotor.
>
> What, in your collective, esteemed opinion would be the likely causes for
> a rather violent shaking of the front end when braking? BTW - the brake
> pads are still in good shape, although I didn't measure them, but there is
> plenty of meat left.

It could be a warped or varying thickness rotor, but it could also be loose
or worn front end parts.

If it is due to an out of spec rotor, you will usually feel a characteristic
shudder.
If it is a varying thickness problem, you will feel it through the brake
pedal. If it
is a warped rotor, you will also feel it, but it may be somewhat different.

You can measure the runout and thickness variation of rotors and know for
sure
how badly they are off.

I have, however, also seen cars with worn ball joints or rod ends that will
start
buffeting when some braking stress is put on the car. You might want to be
sure
that the front suspension and steering parts are in good shape.