Old April 21st 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

Default Likely causes of vibration when braking?

I'm dealing with a 1994 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.slow engine and about
190k miles on the chassis.

Lately and increasingly, there is a *lot* of vibration when braking from
over 40mph or so. I believe that this comes from the front end because I
tried applying just the parking brake at speed. In that test, it stopped
smoothly.

I lifted the front end and did a good old fashioned wiggle test, but
found nothing noticeably loose. I also lightly applied the brakes while
rotating each wheel by hand. The grab seemed smooth, but I'm not real
sure if this would be a good test for a warped rotor.

What, in your collective, esteemed opinion would be the likely causes
for a rather violent shaking of the front end when braking? BTW - the
brake pads are still in good shape, although I didn't measure them, but
there is plenty of meat left.

--
TomO