Old August 18th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Cross Shaft Dementia_Help please!

Hallo!
I have a 1973 Beetle sedan non-Super.

I ordered a cross shaft kit for it.
I bought the BugPack 20 mm cross shaft kit, for a 1973 transaxle.

I had to re-use the old cross shaft, since I had bought the wrong size
cross shaft.

The transaxle had a number on it. It started with 113 …. , so I
thought it was a 1973 transaxle.

It must be a 1972 or one of those mid-year change situations.

But a clutch kit for a 1973 tranny fits perfectly.

After attempting to install the new kit, I found that this tranny uses
a 16 mm cross shaft kit.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I had to re-use it since I had bought the
wrong size cross shaft.

I would have just sent off for a BugPack16 mm cross shaft kit
delivered by 2nd day air but I didn’t want to have to wait.

I also re-installed the old bush and the two rubber things inside it
since I did not have a new bush on hand.

Now, after I tighten the little bolt that holds the left bush in
place, the cross shaft will not move.

It moves again after I loosen the bush bolt a little.

I think the rubber thing inside the bush is between the bolt and the
cross shaft.

I think if the cross shaft moves back and forth enough times, it will
wear into place.

Then the bolt can be fully tightened. Possibly I had just over
tightened the little bolt. It is supposed to be torqued to only 7 ft.
lbs.

I plan to check it once a week.

I only drive about 111 miles a month. I thought this would be OK to
try
until next year when I plan to practice removing and replacing the
engine again.

Do you think this will work? What do you recommend?
Any help will be appreciated!