Old May 3rd 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Bridgestone RE-11 short review

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> I finally decided to replace the 5 year old T1Rs--only half worn at 12k
> miles, but too hard to trust anymore. Considering the car only sees
> ~1200 miles/year now, I ordered a set of RE-11s from Tire Rack.
>
> Very impressive. They are heavier than the T1R, but are quiet and ride
> almost as well, at least while new. Yes, I can feel the weight, but 3
> lb. is no big deal (205/50-15). They feel quite different than the T1R,
> much like the Azenis 215 but with more grip and a more progressive
> behavior (and a better ride). They slide so benignly it's hard to
> imagine a decent driver getting into trouble with them. Burnouts? With
> stock power, forget it, they're way too sticky.
>
> Oh, yeah: they look bitchen.
>
> People are winning autocrosses at the national level on these tires.
> What's surprising is how civilized they are in mundane driving. If you
> want maximum summer grip, put 3000 miles or less on your Miata annually,
> and never drive in snow, the RE-11 seems like a no-brainer. The price is
> even reasonable, $117 for the 205/50-15. They'll soon be available in
> 14" as well.
>
> BTW, I chose them over the Dunlop Star Spec due to reports on their
> noise level and ride. Both tires seem to be at the top of the
> grip/behavior list.

Thank ye sir, that sounds excellent to me. Did you happen to check the
16 inch sizes?

Regarding 16 inch wheels, what is the "best" tire size for a 16X7 wheel
on the NA miata? I currently have 215/40/16's and was thinking about
taking the profile up a little.

Thanks!

Pat