Old September 6th 07, 10:39 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
P. Roehling

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

"pinbob" > wrote

>I would like to collect in one place for a friend and all new friends out
> there the very hidden California DMV motorcycle and driving tests,
> completely and fairly.

"Very hidden"? They didn't hide anything from me. Just asked me to answer
the questions on the written exam and then demonstrate some basic riding
skills. I answered the questions correctly, demonstrated the skills, and
that was all there was to it.

> As you all know, the California Motorcycle Riding Test is nearly
> impossible
> to pass when done on your own

Uh, no, I passed it on my first try, no problems.

> (everyone passes when they are the sole judge
> but almost everyone on a big bike fails because the test is well known to
> be ridiculous and only for the purpose of funneling money to the MSF
> "BasicRider" class which is a scam in and of itself).

Bull****. The test isn't particularly difficult, and if you can't pass it
you shouldn't be out there riding on the streets. That's why they want you
to take the MSF: because you need lessons if you can't pass the test. (And
if you think the civilian test is tough, I'd hate to hear your opinion about
the CHP's motor-officer riding tests, which make the tests *we* take look
like a walk in the park.)

> Worse than being impossible, the California DMV absolutely REFUSES to tell
> you what the test is, even if you fail one of the four parts, they won't
> tell you what the next part is - and you only get three tries overall.
>
> So, the ONLY way to know what the text actually consists of is to get it
> HERE!
> http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/dmv_moto_test.pdf
>
> Since the California DMV forbids you practicing the test, (snip)

Where did you ever get that idea? I simply went down to the DMV parking lot
after they closed one day and spent a few minutes riding around inside the
lines of the painted circle to see how hard it would be.
It wasn't very difficult, and there's nobody there to stop you.

> Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

Or, alternatively, they *could* learn to ride *before* they try to take the
test rather than whining about how "impossible" or "ridiculous" it is.