Old September 1st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RD Jones

Default Question on 1966 Mustang 3 speed transmission

wrote:
> Hi - a friend of mine is looking at buying a 1966 289 V8 Mustang
> with the 3 speed
>
> Someone is telling him these are not very strong transmissions and to
> avoid the car - I thought V8 mustangs used the same unit as most of
> the other small block fords and that this tranny is pretty strong
>
> I'm not sure if someone is thinking of the English ford transmission
> that they used with some of the early 6 cylinder cars ( and I think I
> read somewhere that unit was a 4 speed) which I understand was not a
> strong tranny
>
> Anyway if someone could clarify on this point that would be
> appreciated - it is a nice car and it would be too bad for him to miss
> out on it because of some bad advice

If you ARE talking about a manual tranny ...

I had at least 3 early Mustangs (including 2 '66s) that were
originally equipped with
the "3.03" 3 speed. I was very hard on transmissions in my youth. I
never had any
problems with the 3 speeds. I have heard of someone damaging a shift
fork on one.
Then again, I did the same on a toploader (4speed) which is a very
strong tranny.

The toploader and the B-W T10S are a bolt-in swap for the 3.03, using
the stock
bellhousing.

I would NOT pass up a deal on a '66 just because it had the 3 speed.
Certainly many now have T5s.

Good Luck
rd