Old July 7th 04, 07:48 PM
Stephen Clark

I have actually seen a couple of new 2005 A6's while test driving an S8 at
the dealer. A few reasons a new A6 4.2 might be desirable over the old S8:

1) Nearly the same horsepower ( 330 vs.. 360 ) and less weight. Also has
chain driven camshafts rather than timing belts. Eliminates or minimizes
expensive maintenance.

2) Vastly improved navigation system, integrated into the MMI in the center
dash. A nice 7" color screen, and DVD-based rather than CD-based. The old S8
nav system is a PITA to use, and it has no screen at all, just arrows in the
auto-check window.

3) And, of course, less mileage! Longer warranty period ( 4yr/50K miles ).
The A6 impresses me as a larger, more luxurious, and better equipped car
than its predecessor, and it even has a larger trunk than the S8. I asked
the Porsche sales manager and the Audi sales manager why anyone would buy
the A8, and they were speechless! The interior design is far superior to the
old A6 or A8/S8. Sport seats are included that are very similar to the S8
sport seats. The CD changer is in the glove compartment rather than the
trunk, and the integrated phone is detachable from the armrest to function
as a portable cell phone.

Gee! I guess I've sold myself.....

--
Stephen Clark