Old April 5th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Default CJ-7 Key wont turn all the way

Jo Baggs wrote:

> "Jo Baggs" > wrote in message
>> Ok gang,
>> I need help. I went to start my 86 CJ-7 today. They key turned to the
>> first detent (accessories on), but stops at the engine start detent. It
>> almost feels like the rod inside the steering column is jammed up
>> somehow. Anyone have instructions on how to install a new key cylinder
>> and/or get at the rod that turns inside the column?
>>
>> Thanks

> Ok, I'm at a loss. I tried to check on the rod at the end of the steering
> column (Where the rod goes into the electrical block at lower end of
> column)
> First, How do I get the block off (if it even comes off) and what exactly
> am I looking for to see if the rod is lined up properly? The rod does
> move
> back and forth when the key is turned counter and clockwise. As you
> recall, it will not turn all the way forward to the ignition on detent.
>
> Does anyone have a schematic?
>
> Lastly, is it possible to put a switch on the starter solenoid; one for
> Acc
> on and another for the Starter. I think that would be much easier than
> taking apart the column. Of course, I need someone to tell me which
> solenoid terminal does what.

Joe, my son's XJ had the same problem and the real issue was pretty odd (I
seem to find lots of odd problems!). I pulled the switch cylinder out and
found that the little cap that covers the pins had popped loose on one
corner. It stuck up just enough to catch on a slot in the mount. Pushed
it back in place, popped the edge a couple of times with a center punch to
stake it and it was still working when he sold the Jeep last Spring. You
have to pull the steering wheel and turn switch to get the cylinder out so
you're in there anyway and a replacement ignition lock is pretty cheap if
you don't trust the thing (and you don't mind a batch of mismatched
keys...)..

--
Will Honea