Old April 13th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

Default Rotor, without the 12 k-ohms resistance

rvirgin22 wrote:
> .. Distributor rotors, without 12,000 ohms resistance
>
> 1) The original Bosch rotors, as recommended by VW, I believe
> had 12,000 ohms, or was it 6,000 ohms of resistance across the
> contacts... that being from the centre, out to the tip.
>
> 2) What I am finding these days (probably from China) is just a
> straight through conductor with zero resistance.
>
> 3) Would love to hear feedback on what harm might come using
> these newer type rotors built without the resistance.

--- <snipped> ---

> Ross Virgin, Toronto, Canada
> ..

The rotor that you think is from China sounds similar to a rotor that
Aircooled.net discusses in the following link. It says that if you have
a high output ignition, e.g. a CDI, you can dig out the resistor and
braze a piece of brass in its place. They also sell modified
resistor-less rotors.
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...GR0002&cartid=
Under the drop down box that says "Required Selection" choose "Modified
Rotor, SVDA ..." for a further explanation of how the rotor is modified.

They sell the most commonly used stock rotors. I emailed them in 2004
with the request: "Do you sell a rotor that has had the resistor
replaced for use with a CDI? My distributor uses a Bosch 04 006 rotor."
Their answer was: "You'd have to order that rotor from us and have us
modify it ($15 more). We normally carry the 04-033 or 04-038 rotors in
modified form.

John [Connolly]"

You can send your technical questions to them by clicking on the
"contact info" link at the bottom of every one of their web pages.

-- Randall