Old September 18th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.antique

Default First Small Truck With Air Conditioning in United States

On Sep 17, 5:49 pm, Heather & Joe Way > wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:17:47 -0700, wrote:
> >I am considering buying an antique truck for deliveries...a small
> >enough model that what would hold less than today's minivans. What's
> >the first year, make and model offered in America that had air
> >conditioning as an option?

> >I understand some cars, like Franklins, as early at the 1910s, had
> >ammonia-based air conditioners. Although Franklin was a fancy car,
> >some truck must have had it available.

> ================================
> Hmmm...I suspect that functioning, reliable air conditioning was
> limited to passenger cars at first, and that it was probably in the
> late '50s or early '60s that it was offered in trucks.
>
> However, air conditioning can be installed in almost any vehicle. A
> number of people have air in their Model A Fords, for instance, and a
> Model A sedan delivery would be just the right size for you.
>
> The later the truck, the more room it is likely to have under the dash
> and the hood for the necessary hardware, and the more likely that the
> stock engine will be powerful enough to make it practical to drive in
> modern traffic. Of course, running gear upgrades could be installed in
> any truck.
>
> Joe
> --
> Heather & Joe Way
> Sierra Specialty Automotive
> Brake cylinders sleeved with brass
> Gus Wilson Storieshttp://www.brakecylinder.com

How reliable would a Model A Sedan Delivery be compared to today's
cars? Reliability is supremely important as there are few places to
get an antique car fixed relatively inexpensively and conveniently
where I am (Los Angeles). I was thinking a Model T with an electric
starter is so simple, there isn't much that can go wrong! How's my
line of thinking on that one?