Old September 5th 04, 01:53 AM
Greg

I went through this same situation and found that the fluid of choice is
none other than good old transmission fluid. Bleed out the old brake fluid,
do not forget to bleed out the lines as well. Then replace with transmission
fluid and life will be good. I have used this and found it works very well.
Good luck Greg

"Mike Atkins" > wrote in message
news
> A question for you guys with convertible power tops :
>
> According to my GM shop manual, the recommended fluid for my power top

pump
> is brake fluid. Now knowing what happens when brake fluid meets paint and
> the number of possible areas for leakage, I'm considering changing it for

an
> alternative fluid.
>
> My first thought was to use the standard brake fluid replacement, DOT 5
> silicon fuid, which is well proven for brake system applications. But

after
> discussing this with my local restoration shop, he advised me against it
> .... stay with brake fluid in this application ... he's found it gets
> whipped up by the pump and foams. I suspect most manufacturers use a
> similar pump design, a single 3 lobed impeller, driven by a 12 volt DC

motor