Old September 4th 04, 06:45 PM
Mike Atkins

Default Power Top Fluid

A question for you guys with convertible power tops :

According to my GM shop manual, the recommended fluid for my power top pump
is brake fluid. Now knowing what happens when brake fluid meets paint and
the number of possible areas for leakage, I'm considering changing it for an
alternative fluid.

My first thought was to use the standard brake fluid replacement, DOT 5
silicon fuid, which is well proven for brake system applications. But after
discussing this with my local restoration shop, he advised me against it
..... stay with brake fluid in this application ... he's found it gets
whipped up by the pump and foams. I suspect most manufacturers use a
similar pump design, a single 3 lobed impeller, driven by a 12 volt DC motor
with an attached reservoir, so some of you may have experimented with
something else.

Also, looking at the available hydraulic fluids on the market, and not
knowing much about them, there is a bewildering number of choices.

Any experiences out there?? I've posted this in alt.autos.antique &
rec.autos.antique