Old January 9th 09, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jay Giuliani

Default Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

I am all for use taxes, I just don't see this as manageable.

The problem is that in transporation this means tolls and the entire
infrastructure and industry which growa around them.

Imagine your surprise at registration time when you are presented a huge
mileage based tax bill.

It may seem fair but what about the person that has to drive a long way to
work because there is no effective public transit system available.
Promises of Light rail which will not be built for years will not pay that
renewal tax.

I think it will be hugely unmanageable.

Just raise the gas taxes

By the way, I remember those same clubs doing the Mongolian BBQ by the ounce
as well.

"Studemania" > wrote in message
On Jan 8, 10:50 am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
wrote:
> In article >,
> Tim McNamara > wrote:
>
> > The damage each driver causes to the roads is based on how many miles
> > they drive and only vaguely on how much gasoline they burn; from that
> > perspective a mileage tax makes more sense than a gasoline tax.

> In one of my college economics classes way back when, the professor
> discussed the fairness of weighing your salad bar puchase and paying per
> ounce vs. per plateful. Interestingly enough, many students used the
> "it's not fair" cry on the per ounce method...

At some US Naval officer clubs you used to pay according to the height
of your sandwich.